Students shall be expected to maintain a neat, clean, well-groomed appearance at school. No article of clothing shall be bizarre in style, unsuitable for school activities, nor of a nature to call undue attention to the wearer. Since school life prepares students to take their place in adult life, these primary requirements are expected of all students. The first responsibility for maintaining proper standards belongs to the student and parents, or guardian. The school should deal with this responsibility when the student or parents fail to recognize this need.
The principal shall be the authority in determining the inappropriateness of any feature of clothing or grooming.
It shall be unlawful and against School Board policy for any student or non-student to wear or possess on his/her person, at any time, body armor on any School Board property, school campus, at a school-sponsored function, on a school bus or other school transportation, or in a firearm-free zone, with limited exception as enumerated in La. Rev. Stat. Ann. §14:95.9 . School-sponsored functions shall include, but not be limited to, athletic competitions, dances, parties, or any extracurricular activities. A firearm-free zone means any area within one thousand feet of any school campus and within a school bus.
Body armor shall mean bullet-resistant metal or other material intended to provide protection from weapons or bodily injury.
The School Board shall notify all students of the provisions of this policy.
Students in Jefferson Davis Parish (Grades Pre-K - 12) shall be required to wear uniforms to class. Parents/guardians shall be responsible for purchasing uniforms. Uniforms shall be worn as follows:
Pre-K - 12 Boys Dress Code:
Hunter green or white shirt (oxford or knit with collar; no exposed labels or logos), uniform original khaki or navy blue pants (can be pleated or not pleated, cuffed or hemmed) no exposed labels or logos, or shorts (not more than 3" above to 3” below the knee). Boys in Pre-K - 2 may wear pants and shorts with elastic waists. Pants and shorts shall not have outside pockets (sewed on) or rivets. Shorts must be hemmed with no slits.
Pre-K - 12 Girls Dress Code:
Hunter green or white blouse (oxford, knit, or broadcloth) with collar (no exposed labels or logos), uniform original khaki or navy blue pants or shorts (can be pleated or not pleated, cuffed or hemmed) no exposed labels or logos. Approved plaid, original khaki, or navy blue skirts, skorts, jumpers (with blouse), or shorts (not more than 3" above to 3” below the knee). Girls in Pre-K - 2 may wear pants or shorts with elastic waists. Pants and shorts shall not have outside pockets (sewed on) or rivets. Shorts must be hemmed with no slits. Girls may wear Capris that are hemmed with no slits.
The dress code also includes the following:
1. Socks for the girls and boys must be solid colors of white, original khaki, hunter green or navy blue.
2. All students must wear plain belts of solid leather or fabric (brown, black, or navy blue) if pants have loops. No decorations are allowed on belts. Buckles must be plain.
3. No oversized clothing will be allowed. Pants must fit at the waist. No "low riders." Drawstring pants, cargo pants, carpenter pants and sweat pants are also prohibited. Shirts will be tucked in properly with belt loops visible. No outside rivets or sewed-on pockets are allowed.
4. Turtlenecks, if worn, shall be white or hunter green with no monograms, no name-brands, and no logos.
Pre-K - 2: Turtlenecks may be worn under a uniform shirt or a uniform jumper.
Grades 3 - 12: Turtlenecks must be worn under uniform jumpers, and may be worn under uniform shirts, but cannot be worn alone.
5. Sweatshirts, if worn, must be either hunter green, navy or white. Uniform shirt collar must be visible under a sweatshirt. No hoods are allowed on sweatshirts, only on jackets.
6. Seasonal Clothing - Outerwear (Jackets, Sweaters and Vests) should come to mid-thigh or higher and open the length of the front by snapping, buttoning, or zipping. No emblems or logos will be allowed except for school approved club, spirit, or letter jackets. Jackets, sweaters or vests, if worn, must be either hunter green, navy, khaki or white. Uniform shirt collar must be visible under a sweater or vest. School approved spirit, club, or letter jackets (of that school) are approved.
7. Hoods may not be worn inside buildings.
STUDENTS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN CLASS WITHOUT A PROPER UNIFORM.
Parent/guardian shall be contacted by phone and allowed the opportunity to bring appropriate clothes to school. Student shall remain in time-out until properly attired. If parent/guardian cannot be reached by phone, written notification of violation of school uniform policy shall be sent home with student.
One (1) day in-school detention.
Three (3) days in-school detention. Parent/guardian shall be called in for conference.
CASUAL DAY DRESS
Each school shall be permitted a total of two (2) casual dress days per school year.
School-approved spirit shirts worn with the remainder of an approved uniform are allowed to be worn no more than once per week in conjunction with the School Wide Positive Behavior Support Program.
DRESS CODE REGULATIONS
1. All students shall wear the designated school uniform clothing as outlined in the uniform policy.
2. Baggy or oversized uniforms are not acceptable and thus prohibited.
3. Pants, shorts, and capris must be hemmed and side slits are not permitted. Pants cannot be made of denim material (jeans) regardless of color. Drawstring pants, cargo pants, carpenter pants/shorts, and sweat pants are not allowed.
4. Belts may not be worn more than one size larger than the waist. All students must wear belts if pants have loops. Belts must be plain brown, black, or navy blue. They must be of solid leather or fabric with no decorations. Buckles must be plain.
5. Shirts must be worn properly tucked in at all times with belt loops visible. Undergarments must not be visible. Only the top 2 shirt buttons may be unbuttoned.
6. Transfer students shall be given seven (7) days to acquire a proper uniform.
7. Any non-uniform clothing and/or prohibitive items shall be taken by school officials and returned to the parent or guardian only.
8. Uniform shirt collars must be visible when wearing a sweatshirt.
9. The wearing of socks shall be mandatory. Socks must be white, khaki, hunter green or navy blue.
10. Shorts, skorts, skirts, and jumpers may be worn no shorter than three inches (3") above the knee. Capris (hemmed with no slits) are acceptable for girls.
11. Footwear; slippers, sandals, or flip-flops are not acceptable. Shoes must have enclosed back. Croc-style shoes may be worn only if they are the lace-up style.
12. The wearing of earrings for female students shall be allowed. One pair of stud earrings only; dangling earrings shall not be allowed. Earrings worn by female students must be in the lower lobe of the ear only. No ”spacers” are allowed in ear lobes at school. Male students shall not be allowed to wear earrings.
13. Body piercing that is visible shall be prohibited. (Example: nose, lips, tongue, eyebrows, etc.)
14. Students shall not be allowed to wear any type of chains or necklaces. Prohibited items shall be taken by school officials and returned to the parent or guardian only.
15. Only naturally occurring hair colors are allowed (black, brunette, auburn, or blond -- natural or dyed). Any student bleaching their hair must color the hair to the natural color if they grow the hair out.
16. Hair styles that are bizarre and draw undue attention will not be allowed.
17. Sideburns can extend to the lobe of the ears. Beards are unacceptable. Mustaches neatly trimmed must not extend past the corner of the mouth.
18. The wearing of caps or hats shall not be allowed.
19. Undershirts must be plain white only with no script or graphics.
20. Maternity clothing will be reasonable. Maternity tops do not have to be tucked. Regular shirts must be worn, tucked in, as long as possible.
21. Religious clothing must be approved by the Superintendent.
22. Tattoos that are obscene or deemed inappropriate must be covered.
23. Leggings are not allowed.